Foods to avoid
What am I suppose to eat now?

 
 
 
That list! That horrible list! The list of all your favorite foods you are now expected to avoid or give up entirely. My initial reaction to this was "What am I suppose to eat now?" "Are you kidding me I'm going to starve!" Okay, well that last part is a bit dramatic, but you get my point. I had been a strict vegan in my late teen years; I eliminated all animal products from my diet - dairy, chicken, eggs etc. and consumed mainly a plant based diet. I loved eating healthy, I felt great but unfortunately my naturally petite figure and fast metabolism didn't go to well with my vegan diet I lost a lot of weight so I had to change my diet from strict vegan to vegetarian. I don't eat chicken but I  reintroduced dairy, cheese, fish and other foods into my diet again.
So you can imagine how I felt when I heard that I had to give up some of these things again. I was horrified, I remember telling my mother "I am going to get so skinny that I eventually just disappear!". Yes a bit over dramatic again, I have never noticed but I might be a bit of a 'drama queen' ha-ha.
       

One of the foods that was a bit hard for me to avoid was 'sugar' I'll admit - I have a sweet tooth. The thought of no more trips to the candy store, frosted covered cupcakes, scrumptious double chocolate chip cookies with the delicious feel of chocolate slowly melting in your mouth or rich-light-fluffy red velvet cake with its smooth- creamy milk chocolate frosting.All my favorite candy! sugary sweet pastries! all my favorite desserts!
Changing my diet again was not an easy task, I felt like the list of foods I should avoid kept getting longer and longer. I felt defeated. I was back at square one again. One of my favorite quotes is 'When life knocks you down get back and fight harder'. I refused to be defeated. I picked myself up,I did my research and went at it again even more determined than I was before.
I figured I can still enjoy my favorite foods, I'll just simply substitute the ingredients I normally use.
My transition began with gluten, I bought a packet of Dove Farm Foods gluten free flour and attempted my first gluten free bread. Actually I have my mother to thank for this part. The first try didn't go as well as we thought- the bread was literally hard as a rock, you could have injured someone with that thing. There was a lot of trails and errors but after several attempts we eventually perfected it. And I must say it is the best homemade bread I ever tasted. ( I would post the recipe so you can try it if you like)
Later I discovered Go Veggie products. They have these amazing delicious dairy free cheese alternative and besides being dairy free, its also gluten free and soy free. I was so happy to know that I could start making my golden brown grilled cheese sandwiches and my favorite veggie pizza again.
 
 
 
 
I discover new products everyday, it can be quite frustrating at times but I enjoy sharing what I learn with my lovely readers and the online support groups. I read a lot of online post about how angry and frustrating some people are that they have to give up some of their favorite foods. I am happy to inform you that there are healthy alternatives you can try and you can still enjoy some of the foods you once loved. Notice I said 'some' you may have to completely eliminate some foods; I had to eliminate candies and sweets but I can still make my moist, delectable cake with gluten free cake mix and Stevia (a natural sweetener)
 
Picking the correct foods is easier and less stressful but you should also consult your health care professional before you embark on any special diet or programs intended to treat Pcos.
They can also help you create a list of foods you shouldn't eat, personalised to your condition.
 
 
I hope you figure out the best nutrition for yourself and I hope you enjoyed reading this post. Oh and please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below.
 
 
Thanks for stopping by :)
Love,
S.C
Follow me on twitter 
pinterest.com/Llovelyjournal/

 
 
                                                     
                                                             
 
 



Comments